Saturday, May 26, 2012

Final Blog Post


Final Blog Post
            This year I was in Computer Science II, which was a very unique experience. I learned a lot about what it means to collaborate in a group, and the importance of personal discipline. I realized too late that I had squandered away an excellent learning opportunity. Computer Science II taught me a lot about writing and design, but not much about code. Because my group was so good at coding, it was my job to design stories and mechanics for the games. I had a lot of fun doing this. The classroom definitely had a creative and open feel to it, but I made the mistake of taking advantage of that openness and using it to slack off and not learn very much about coding.
            One of the reasons that this class was so great was because of Mr. Stephens (I could have put “you” here, because I know Mr. Stephens is the only one who reads these blog posts). Mr. Stephens knows what he is doing with coding, and in AP I saw him use a curriculum and guide a class to success on the AP test. This year, there was no guidance, and that worked out for the majority of students in our CS2 class. Personally, I discovered that when left to my own devices, I tend to not work as hard as I could. While the class design was great and laid back, for people like me (who are susceptible to bouts of laziness) the class did not teach me as much as it could have. The fault is entirely mine. I did have a blast writing plot and talking with my group about code though, and experienced what it is like to work in a group with people that have different specialties (G did art, D did game code, A made cool effects, I wrote the plot and game concepts).
            To improve on the class, I think that the students should at least have an option to have a curriculum taught to them. If Mr. Stephens sees students “pulling a Frank” (you can use that if you want to) then he has the right as a teacher to have those kids learn a language or complete labs. It is a class, after all. The class is a great start to what could be one of the most creative and individual classes at LASA, but at the moment there’s a lot of room for fooling around. I took advantage of that and regret it immensely. I’m not saying I left the class with no additional knowledge, because I did learn some material in personal study, but I could have learned a lot more.
            Thanks for a great year!
                        Frank F 

No comments:

Post a Comment